By Amy Looker in Melbourne
American breweries have again stolen the show at the Australian International Beer Awards (AIBA) held on Friday (20 May), with a Californian brewery taking top honours.
Moylan’s Brewing Co, from California, was awarded the Champion Exhibitor Trophy and the trophy for Champion Small Brewery at the 19th annual awards, which attracted 1195 entries from 34 countries around the world.
Of the 17 trophies up for grabs on the evening, international breweries took home seven awards and Australia put in a notable effort to score eight of the trophies.
AIBA committee chairman and chief judge, Peter Manders, said the awards has become the brewing industry event of the year.
“The 1195 entries received from 34 countries around the world this year were all of an exceptionally high standard. With an increase in entries from the US and South-East Asian and Scandinavian regions, the AIBA grows in reach each year,” Manders said.
“The AIBAs global reputation has been reinforced by the addition of some of the world’s most highly esteemed industry personnel, and this year 13 international judges joined the panel of 44, the largest contingent of internationals in the history of the event.”
It was a big year for consecutive wins with Feral Brewing company of Western Australia again achieving the Champion Ale Trophy and Victoria’s 2 Brothers Brewery holding onto The Premier’s Trophy for the Best Victorian Beer.
Andrew Ong and Ben Lee of 2 Brothers Brewery with Minister Denis Napthine MP.
2 Brothers Brewery were also awarded the trophy for Champion Scotch Ale & Barley Wines.
- Gary Sheppard Memorial Trophy for Best New Exhibitor – Hopworks Urban Brewery, Oregon, USA
- Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria Trophy for Champion Exhibitor for the Highest Scoring Exhibitor – Moylan’s Brewing Co, California, USA
- Labelmakers Trophy for Champion Large Brewery – The Brooklyn Brewery, New York, USA
- Cleanevent Trophy for Champion Small Brewery – Moylan’s Brewing Co, California, USA
- The Premier’s Trophy for the Best Victorian Beer – Guvnor, 2 Brothers Brewery, Victoria, Australia
- Hop Products Australia Trophy for Champion Lager – Cowaramup Pilsner, Cowaramup Brewing Company, Western Australia, Australia
- Cryer Malt Trophy for Champion Ale – Hop Hog, Feral Brewing Company, Western Australia, Australia
- Beer & Brewer Magazine Trophy for Champion Porter – Walkers Reserve, Firestone Walker Brewing Company, California, USA
- Cleanevent Trophy for Champion Stout – Craftsman Oatmeal, Renaissance Brewing, Marlborough, New Zealand
- TAC Trophy for Champion Reduced Alcohol Beer – The Monk Mild, The Monk Brewery & Kitchen, Western Australia, Australia
- University of Ballarat Trophy for Champion Wheat Beer – Sou West Wheat, Bootleg Brewery, Western Australia, Australia
- Weyermann Specialty Malting Company Trophy for Champion Belgian & French Ales – Oude Kriek Oud Beersel, Oud Beersel, Brussels, Belgium
- University of Ballarat Trophy for Champion Scotch Ale & Barley Wines – Guvnor, 2 Brothers Brewery, Victoria, Australia
- National Liquor News Trophy for Champion Hybrid Beer – Vanilla Milk Stout, Thirsty Crow, New South Wales, Australia
- Spiegelau Trophy for Champion Packaging Award – Gage Pils 3.5, Gage Roads Brewing Co Ltd
- Champion Gluten Free Beer – No trophy awarded
- TAC Trophy for Champion Low Alcohol Beer – No trophy awarded
For last years results, click here.