Finalists named for Australian Gin Cocktail Cup
The final of the inaugural Australian Gin Cocktail Cup has taken shape, with the finalists named and ready to battle it out at The Barber Shop on Wednesday, 5 December.
The Cup aims to showcase the best bartenders in the NSW liquor industry, and is an adjunct to the Australian Gin Awards and Gin Palooza – both of which will be held in March 2019.
Entrants were invited to create an Australian gin-based cocktail – using a gin from the selection of the Sydney Gin Palooza’s distillers – along with six complimentary ingredients. These were then judged by a panel comprising our panel of judges Jason Crawley, Andy Penney and Harriet Leigh at the semi-finals and six finalists named to go into next week’s final.
Chariman of the competition, and Director of The Barrelhouse Group, Mikey Enright (pictured above) told TheShout: “I personally didn’t have a say during the selection process, it was the judge’s decision.
“We wanted it to be unbiased by the bartender or bar and obviously owning a Gin Bar, it could be deemed that way in the public eye. But I have got to say that there are some creative geniuses out there and I’m looking forward to seeing who is the winner on the night.”
The finalists are:
- Simon Laturiuw, Low & Loftys using Brookies Dry gin and Brookies Slow
- Matty Opai, Icebergs Dining Room & Bar using Four Pillars – Maker Session Gin
- Jake Soledad, Icebergs Dining Room & Bar using Four Pillars X Herno
- Christian Comparone, The Smoking Panda using 5Nines Distilling Wild Citrus Gin
- Giacomo Franceschi, Merivale Charlie Parker’s using Manly Spirit Gin. Manly Spirit
- Christopher Thomas, Trolley’d using Hemp Gin
The Cup Final, which is sponsored by Fever-Tree, MONA and The Barber Shop takes place at 5pm on Wednesday 5 December at The Barber Shop, all are welcome, there is no charge and Enright will announce the winner at 6pm.