Australian Women in Wine Award winners revealed
The winners of the 2019 Australian Women in Wine Awards (AWIWA) were revealed at a ceremony in New York at the end of last week.
The ceremony, which was conducted in partnership with Wine Australia and was one of the launch events for Wine Australia’s Far From Ordinary campaign, was attended by nearly 40 Australian female wine producers plus a further 100+ invited dignitaries.
AWIWA Founder and Chair Jane Thomson said that the decision to kick off the whole USA campaign with the AWIWA was a clear sign that Aussie #winechicks are integral to the Australian wine story.
“Australian wine history is now boldly being made with her-story front and centre,” she said.
Eight out of the nine winners were in the room to receive their award in person, while the whole ceremony was also live streamed across the world via the Australian Women in Wine Facebook page.
Andreas Clark, CEO Wine Australia said: “Wine Australia is delighted to support the Australian Women in Wine Awards that celebrate the achievements of many talented women from the Australian grape and wine community and it was wonderful to partner with the event in New York.
“We believe that our diverse wine community is one of our greatest strengths that help make our wine Far From Ordinary, and we are delighted to sponsor the Honorary Australian Woman in Wine USA and the Viticulturist of the Year awards.”
The 2019 Australian Women in Wine Award Winners are:
- Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Tonnellerie Saint Martin
- Vanya Cullen, Cullen Wines
- Researcher / Innovator of the Year – sponsored by Angove Family Winemakers
- Inca Lee, Vinehealth Australia
- Champion of Diversity & Equality – sponsored by Australian Grape and Wine
- John Davis, Pepper Tree Wines
- Marketer of the Year – sponsored by denomination
- Imogen Hayes, Handpicked Wines
- Cellar Door Person of the Year – sponsored by Purple Giraffe
- Ulrika Larsson, Clairault Streicker
- Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
- Sheridan Alm, Starrs Reach Vineyard
- Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by WineWorks Australia
- Sarah McDougall, Lake George Winery
- Woman of Inspiration Award – sponsored by Irvine Wines
- Angie Bradbury, Dig&Fish
- Honorary Australian Women in Wine Award USA – co-sponsored by Wine Australia & the Victoria State Government.
- Christina Pickard