New vintage of Future Leaders
16 young members of the Australian wine sector’s Future Leaders program will graduate in Adelaide today, after an intensive schedule preparing them to be the next generation of leaders in Australian wine.
The program is a joint initiative of Wine Australia, Winemakers’ Federation of Australia (WFA) and Australian Vignerons (AV) that gives emerging leaders, from early to mid-career, an opportunity to develop their leadership, business and marketing skills.
Over a six-month period, the graduates heard from thought leaders both within and beyond the wine sector, including some of Australia’s best speakers on the topics of innovation, leadership and culture, and connected with people from across the grape and wine community, including Future Leaders alumni.
“Since the first program in 2006, there had been seven intakes, including the latest vintage,” said Wine Australia Chair Brian Walsh.
“Now there are over 100 alumni, many already making significant contributions to the sector, through their own companies, sector committees, company boards and in research.
“I have every confidence that this group has the nous to embrace all it has learned and implement this knowledge in rewarding and positive ways.”
The 2017 Future Leaders program, conducted by Pragmatic Thinking, explored new avenues in business, innovation, culture, marketing and governance, and how global economics was shaping the future.
Participants looked at new technologies and contemporary approaches to people leadership and business success, and were exposed to the latest thinking in behavioural science, neuro science, and cutting-edge leadership thinking.
The 16 graduates are:
- Alexia Roberts, Galvanized Wine Group (Penny’s Hill)
- Richard Angove, Angove Family Winemakers
- Sarah Collingwood, Four Winds Vineyard
- Chris Dent, Viticulturist
- Claire Doughty, Brand Warrior Communications
- Paula Edwards, Winegrapes Australia
- Shirley Fraser de Zolt, Byrne Vineyards
- Mary Hamilton, Hugh Hamilton Wines
- Simon Killeen, Simão & Co. Wines
- Richard Leask, Leask Agriculture
- Chris Morrison, Consultant
- Gwyneth Olson, Pepper Tree Wines
- Wes Pearson, Australian Wine Research Institute
- Natalie Pizzini, Pizzini Wines
- Anthony Robinson, Treasury Wine Estates
- Marc Soccio, Agfinity