Young Gun of Wine finalists for 2019 revealed
Young Gun of Wine has announced its final 12 winemakers for 2019 following a nationwide search for Australia’s best young winemakers.
This year’s final 12 comprises four winemakers from Western Australia, and Victoria, and three South Australia respectively. And in good news for the Sunshine State, Andrew Scott from La Petite Mort in the Granite Belt Region has secured the first ever Final 12 place for Queensland.
Organisers said: “With only 10 per cent of Australia’s winemakers women, it’s a great result to see four female winemakers grace the final 12, including winemaking duo Liv Maiorana and Mijan Patterson from South by South West, Vanessa Altman from Switch Organic Wine and Genevieve Mann from Corymbia.”
The judges for 2019 include Rory Kent, Nick Stock, Mike Bennie, Pip Anderson, Josephine Perry, Rob Mack, Penny Grant and international guest judge Leah Rinadli from USA’s leading distributor of natural wines, Jenny & Francois, who each tasted over 250 wines over two days at King & Godfree to determine the finalists.
Trophies up for grabs in this year’s awards include the prestigious Young Gun of Wine, Best New Act, Winemaker’s Choice, People’s Choice, and ‘First Drop’ Danger Zone being awarded to most the adventurous wine that was selected in the Top 50.
The Final 12 winemakers (via state) are as follows:
- Andrew Scott from La Petite Mort, Granite Belt (Muscat / Gewurztraminer, Durif / Mataro)
- Damon Koerner from Koerner Wine, Clare Valley (Riesling, Sangiovese / Grenache / Sciacarello / Malbec)
- Sacha La Forgia from Adelaide Hills Distillery, Adelaide Hills (Chenin Black, Chenin Blanc / Syrah / Grenache)
- Vanessa Altmann from Switch Organic Wine, Eden Valley / McLaren Vale (Pinot Noir, Viognier)
- Ben Ranken from Wilimee, Macedon Ranges (Chardonnay, Pinot Noir)
- Jayden Ong from Jayden Ong/One Block, Yarra Valley (Pinot Gris, Syrah)
- Shaun Crinion from Dappled Wines, Yarra Valley (Chardonnay, Pinot Noir)
- Simon Killeen from Simao & Co Wines, Rutherglen / North East Victoria (Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir)
- Genevieve Mann & Rob Mann from Corymbia, Swan Valley (Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo / Malbec / Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Liv Maiorana & Mijan Patterson from South by South West, Margaret River (Chardonnay, Malbec / Cabernet Sauvignon / Shiraz / Petit Verdot)
- Remi Guise from tripe.Iscariot, Margaret River (Chardonnay, Syrah)
- Rhys Parker & Paul Hoffman from Swan Valley Wines / Vallée du Venom, Margaret River / Swan Valley (Chenin Blanc, Cabernet Franc).
Public tastings of the each wine presented by the final 12 will take place at Porteño Events in Sydney on Wednesday 29 May and at St Martins Youth Arts Centre in Melbourne on Saturday 1 June to determine the People’s Choice winner, with attendees be asked vote for their favourite wine on the day.